Husband, software engineer, tech nerd in Minneapolis, MN. He/him.
- 9+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience with architecture, tech leadership, development, devops, and security.
- Enthusiastic; committed to continuous improvement and gaining new knowledge.
Clouds: Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure
Languages: PHP 7/8, Typescript/JS (browser/NodeJS), Java, Python, Golang, HTML/CSS, Bash
Tech: Linux (Ubuntu/CentOS/Alpine), REST/GraphQL APIs, messaging/queuing (SQS/SNS, PubSub, etc), Redis, memcached, docker, container orchestration (kubernetes, ECS), MySQL/Postgres, NoSQL, nginx/Apache
Logging/Monitoring: Prometheus, Grafana, CloudWatch, Kibana/ES, New Relic, fluentd, Datadog
CI/CD: GitHub Actions, CircleCI, Travis CI, Bitbucket Pipelines, Jenkins, Atlantis
Tools: git, Ansible, Terraform, Helm
Senior Operations Engineer at RallyHealth (UHG) - Aug 2021 - Present
Senior Site Reliability Engineer at SilverCloud Health - Nov 2020 - August 2021
- Defined standards for the engineering team at large as the first platform hire.
- Migrated the engineering and product teams to git from mercurial; managing training, providing one-on-one assistance, and then performing the technical migration.
- Established a culture of pull requests and code review for software and infra changes.
- Containerized the core monolithic application and made their first microservice possible, deployed to both EKS and AKS through GitHub Actions CI/CD pipelines.
- Managed platform migration from bespoke provider to both AWS to Azure.
- Changed process from manual infrastructure to infrastructure as code with Terraform.
Senior Software Engineer at PinkLion AI - Feb 2020 - Mar 2020
- Architected and built a data pipeline leveraging messaging architecture with FaaSs.
- Pipeline functions and data stores were deployed using Terraform and were highly scalable - moved millions of documents through an AI pipeline in minutes
- The pipeline piped the data into a RESTful API deployed to a Kubernetes cluster I also deployed with Terraform on GCP.
Senior Software Engineer at Kipsu Inc. - Feb 2014 - Jan 2020
- Leveraged Ansible to deploy infra and configure applications to our AWS cloud.
- Migrated workloads to AWS from a legacy hosting provider.
- Responded to incidents, triaged downtime, and monitored systems using CloudWatch.
- Set up log streaming to ElasticSearch/Kibana to gain deeper application insights.
- I designed a set of microservices that replaced core messaging functionality and deployed to ECS with Fargate using Ansible.
- Four separate times I lowered the primary DB utilization by 50% through system profiling, targeted refactoring, code improvements, and caching mechanism.
- Started the security working group to help the growing organization stay secure. I discovered and reported code vulnerabilities, including many of a critical - level. I designed the system used to rank, report and resolve vulnerabilities by impact.
- Mentored engineers and guided leadership on development, devops, design, and security; presented stack, devops, and security topics to the team to spread knowledge.
- Designed, built, deployed and monitored major core systems, leading development on many backend systems.
- Maintained core systems, including major language level changes across all parts of the software lifecycle; pushed for continuous improvement at all times.
Freelance Web Developer - Mar 2012 - Jan 2014
- Projects varied from changes to ISP billing systems to deploying and administering linux servers, to scraping thousands of retail supplier data records for a retailer
B.S. Computer Science / Metropolitan State University - 2017